Step 1: Preparation
Clean all joints and remove all foreign substances and contaminanted materials such as grease, oil, dust, water, frost, surface dirt, existing sealants, glazing compounds and protective coatings.
Step 2: Application
- Install sof-rod or open cell backer rod material to avoid air bubbles from forming after skinning or, install setting blocks, spacer shims and tapes.
- Mask the areas that are adjacent to the target joints to ensure neat sealant lines.
- A primer is generally not required on non-porous surfaces, such as, glass, metals, stainless steel, steel, aluminum and chrome, to name a few, but may be necessary for optimal sealing of certain porous surfaces.
- A test application is always recommended.
- Apply Dow 795 Silicone Building Sealant in a steady motion using continual pressure.
- The silicone sealant can be applied using many varieties of air-operated guns, most types of bulk dispensing equipment and standard caulking guns.
- Before a skin forms, which usually occurs within 15 minutes after dispensing, tool the sealant with light pressure to spread the adhesive against the backing material and joint surfaces.
- Remove the masking tape once the bead line is spread.
Step 3: Longevity and Storage
When stored at or below 80 degrees F, Dow 795 Silicone Building Sealant will have a shelf life of 12 months from the date of its manufacture. Refer to the product's packaging for “Use By Date.”
Dow 795 Silicone Building Sealant should not be used:
- In structural applications without prior review and approval by a Dow Sales Application Engineer
- In below-grade applications
- When surface temperatures exceed 122°F during application
- On those surfaces that are continuously immersed in water
- On building materials that bleed oils and solvents that may affect adhesion, on frost-laden or wet surfaces and in totally confined joint areas since the sealant requires atmospheric moisture for it to cure.
- If the sealant is intended to be painted since paints do not typically adhere to most silicone sealants
- To apply to surfaces in direct contact with food or other food-grade applications
* This product is neither tested nor represented as suitable for medical or pharmaceutical uses.