How to use this sealant product
It is recommended that you consult the Dow Americas Technical Manual, Form No. 62-1112, for detailed information on state-of-the-art application methods and joint design. Please contact your local Dow Sales Application Engineer for specific advice.
Make sure to clean all joints removing all foreign matter and contaminants like grease, oil, dust, water, frost, surface dirt, old sealants, glazing compounds and any protective coatings.
Method of Application
- Install necessary backing material or joint filler, setting blocks, spacer shims and tapes.
- Areas adjacent to your substrate's joints should be masked to ensure neat and clean sealant line results.
- Primer is most likely not required on non-porous surfaces.
- On porous surfaces, Dow recommends testing a small area prior to application.
- To confirm optimal adhesion on any surface, adhesion testing should always be carried out prior to starting any project.
- Apply Dow 791 silicone weatherproofing sealant in a continuous fashion using a light but steady pressure.
- Continue to tool the silicone sealant to spread it against the backing material and the joint surfaces before a skin begins to form.
- The applied caulk should be tooled within 15 minutes or before a cured skin forms.
- Remove all masking tape immediately after the caulking bead is tooled again to ensure neat and clean sealant line results.
Please contact your local Dow Sales Application Engineer for specific advice.